This degree program is designed to prepare students for many types of biological work that require advanced training beyond the bachelor's degree, including careers in industry and/or civil service, teaching biological sciences at the elementary, secondary, and community college levels, independent research in the field of specialization, or continued graduate work at other institutions. A research thesis is required.
- Students will demonstrate a broad basic knowledge of the biological sciences.
- Students will demonstrate a thorough understanding and competency in a specific discipline within the biological sciences.
- Students will be able to communicate scientific ideas effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Students will be able to think critically and evaluate, design, conduct and quantitatively assess innovative research in a biological discipline.
- Students will have acquired the skills and knowledge needed for employment or advanced graduate or professional study in discipline related areas.
Students who graduate with an MS in Biological Sciences from Cal Poly typically pursue further graduate work (e.g., PhD or medical programs) or obtain employment in one of the following fields: environmental consulting, teaching, research (e.g., lab manager, research specialist), biotechnology and related industries.Back to top
|Units to Degree Completion||45|
|Letters of Recommendation||2|
Interested in this program? Have a question? Use this form to contact us.Back to top