Master of Public Policy
The Master of Public Policy degree program (MPP) is professionally oriented and open to students who wish to pursue analytic careers in government, nonprofit organizations, consulting, advocacy, and/or related policy occupations. The program is structured to prepare graduates with competence and creativity to excel in careers in the ever-changing world of public policy. The core courses cover public policy, public policy analysis, economic and regulatory policy, research design, quantitative methods, leadership, policy internships, and graduate seminar. The MPP degree from Cal Poly equips students with the professional and analytical tools necessary to have an impact on future policy decisions. The Master of Public Policy program prepares students for leadership in the public and private sectors, nonprofit management, and consulting.
- MPP students will be able to think critically and creatively about public policy theory, analysis and application. In particular, students will develop knowledge and skills in quantitative and qualitative analysis, argumentation, and the process and practice of research in general and as applied to a substantive policy area.
- MPP students will develop skills for the clear, concise, and effective communication of ideas. This includes the communication of evidence, analysis, and arguments via written, visual, and oral methods.
- MPP students will demonstrate expertise in the field of public policy, including an appreciation of the connections between a particular substantive area and the social, political, economic, and technological context in which it exists.
- MPP students will develop leadership capacities that will prepare them to work productively as individuals and in groups.
- MPP students will develop tools that prepare them to participate constructively in the process of creating, implementing and evaluating public policy.
- MPP students will learn to recognize and reconcile diverse perspectives, and the tradeoffs they entail, in pursuit of the public interest.
- MPP students will utilize internship experiences and course knowledge to prepare them for dynamic and professional careers in the ever-changing field of public policy.
The Master of Public Policy program prepares students for leadership in the public and private sectors, nonprofit management, and consulting.Back to top
|Units to Degree Completion||60|
|Letters of Recommendation||3|
Interested in this program? Have a question? Use this form to contact us.Back to top