Blended Programs

What is a Blended Program?

  • Joint (blended) Bachelor's and Master's degree
  • No “formal” application made through Admissions; no application fee
  • Under Title V, minimum of 225 total units required (BS 180 + MS 45)
  • Blended matriculation is “Graduate”


To provide an accelerated route to a graduate degree, with simultaneous awarding of both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees
In most cases, to allow for the possibility of students’ earning graduate credit for several of their senior electives, effectively decreasing the summed unit requirements for both degrees
To provide a seamless process whereby students can progress from undergraduate to graduate status without having to apply through the Admissions Office (thereby eliminating the need to pay the application fee)
To provide a meaningful capstone experience that in some cases integrates the senior project with the graduate thesis/project

Eligibility Requirements

  • Can transition to graduate standing during the quarter a student completes 180 degree-applicable units.

  • The student must be at graduate status for a minimum of 2-quarters before they graduate.

  • Students must have a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative SLO GPA in order to be accepted to a Blended Program.

  • *Note: Once students are admitted to graduating standing, they must maintain an overall 3.0 GPA for courses on their Formal Study Plan.


Must be satisfied before transitioning to graduate standing.

Admission to Blended Degree Program

  • Individual programs will determine the criteria for admission to a Blended program.
  • Once approved by the program's Graduate Coordinator, the student should file a Blended Programs Application Approval Form (link to eForm).
  • Cannot apply if the student has completed more than the maximum number of units required for Bachelor's degree (180 units for most programs, but some CENG programs has 196 units).
  • Admission to a Blended program does not constitute recognition of graduate standing by the Office of Academic Records. Students must file a Postbaccalaureate Change of Objective to officially transition to graduate standing. *Note: this will impact your tuition and possibly financial aid.