Cal Poly

Continuous Enrollment


Effective Fall quarter 2009, graduate students will be required to maintain continuous enrollment from the time of first enrollment in a graduate program until completion of the degree. Continuous enrollment will be defined as being enrolled during Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters each year. However, if you plan to graduate Summer Quarter, you must be enrolled in Continuous Enrollment during the summer.

One mechanism for meeting this requirement is to register in a special course designated for this purpose during terms in which students are not regularly enrolled. The course designated for continuous enrollment purposes is GS S597 Continued Graduate Study. It is listed in the University catalog and taken through Cal Poly Extended Education. It is a variable-unit course graded credit/no-credit. Credits in GS S597 do not count toward meeting degree requirements.

Students who fail to fulfill this continuous enrollment requirement will not be permitted to graduate - even if all degree requirements have been completed - until payment has been made for all quarters of non-enrollment (for example, the student may register in GS S597 through Extended Education, for a number of units equal to the number of non-enrolled quarters).

All students must be enrolled during the quarter in which they graduate.

Deadlines to Register Each Quarter

  Deadline Cost
Summer 2016 August 25, 2016 $289/unit
Fall 2016 December 8, 2016 $289/unit
Winter 2017 March 16, 2017 $289/unit
Spring 2017 June 8, 2017 $289/unit

Note: The standard university late fee of $25 may apply if registering for a term after its respective deadline.


The continuous enrollment requirement for graduate students applies to all graduate programs unless a program exemption has been approved. Students on approved university leaves of absence, as defined in the University catalog (Medical Leave; Planned Educational Leave) are not required to enroll during the leave period. In order for Planned Educational Leave to qualify for exemption from the continuous enrollment requirement, the leave must involve a formal education activity approved by the Dean of Research and Graduate Programs.

Registering in GS S597

  • Open the Continuous Enrollment Guidelines and Application (PDF) or pick up application materials from Cal Poly Extended Education, Science Building 52, Room E34. Hours: Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
  • Application information requires name, date of birth, email address, EMPL ID, program major and concentration, the quarter you last attended courses at Cal Poly, and identification of the number of quarters you need to enroll in.
  • Complete the application and return it to Extended Education, Science Building 52, Room E34, in person or via fax (805) 756-5933. Extended Education will evaluate the number of units required for you to be current in your program and verify this amount with you if our assessment differs from your own.
  • Processing your continuous enrollment may take up to 2 weeks.
  • Extended Education enrolls you in GS S597 for the agreed amount of units. You will receive an email confirmation of your enrollment.
  • Charges will appear in your student account at the time of enrollment, and it is your responsibility to log-in to your student portal to make a payment for the due date. Read the procedure on how to pay your course fees.

< Back to Extended Education

Back to top

© 2015 California Polytechnic State University Graduate Education
Building 52, Room E47
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-2328