Effective Fall Quarter 2009, graduate students are required to maintain continuous enrollment from the time of first enrollment in a graduate program until completion of the degree (AS-692-09).
Continuous enrollment is defined as being enrolled during Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters each year. This requirement is not retroactive to terms prior to Fall 2009.
- Continuous enrollment is required for graduate students from the time of first enrollment in a graduate program until completion of the degree.
- All graduate students must be enrolled in the quarter in which they graduate.
- A student may be required to enroll in the Summer quarter if Summer is the quarter of degree completion.
- The continuous enrollment requirement for graduate students applies to all graduate programs unless a program exemption has been approved.
Students who fail to fulfill this continuous enrollment requirement will be not be permitted to graduate, even if all degree requirements have been completed, until payment has been made for all quarters of non-enrollment.
Students can maintain continuous enrollment by one of the following:
- Enrolling as a regular student
- Obtaining approval for an education or medical leave prior to the quarter when such a leave would begin
- Registering in a special course designated for this purpose, during quarters in which they are not regularly enrolled
GS 597 is listed in the University catalog and is taken through Cal Poly Extended Education. GS 597 is a one-unit course offered credit/no credit; credits in GS 597 do not count toward meeting degree requirements. As of Fall 2018, the GS 597 fee shall be $349 per unit. This new fee applies to students who matriculate as graduate students for the first time in Fall 2018 or later. Those who are matriculated in a graduate degree program prior to Fall 2018 will be charged the per unit rate of $289.
Only Cal Poly students who have paid the Health Services Fee are eligible to access services at Campus Health & Wellbeing. Cal Poly students cannot choose to pay this fee if the fee is not automatically applied to their student account, nor can they opt out of paying the fee.Campus Health & Wellbeing
Rec Center membership may be purchased directly from the Rec Center.Cal Poly Recreation Center
Continuous Enrollment Registration Forms Due
August 28, 2020
December 4, 2020
March 19, 2021
June 11, 2021
Note: The standard university late fee of $25 may apply if registering for a term after its respective deadline.
As of Fall 2018, the GS 597 fee shall be $349 per unit. This new fee applies to students who matriculate as graduate students for the first time in Fall 2018 or later. Those who are matriculated in a graduate degree program prior to Fall 2018 will be charged the per unit rate of $289.
Leave of Absence
- Students on approved university leaves of absence, as defined in the University catalog (Medical Leave; Planned Educational Leave) are not required to enroll during the leave period.
- In order for Planned Educational Leave to qualify for exemption from the continuous enrollment requirement, the leave must involve a formal education activity approved by the Dean of Graduate Education
Registering in GS S597
Complete Continuous Enrollment Registration form for Cal Poly Extended EducationContinuous Enrollment Registration Form (E-Form)
Register Using Adobe Sign Electronic Process. This process will allow your registration to progress electronically.
- Click on Continuous Enrollment form
- Enter your email address
- An email will be sent to you with a link to complete the form
- Open email and click on "Review and Sign"
- Complete the form and click "Finish"
NOTE: If you cannot complete the form in one sitting, click Other Actions in the top right corner and then click Finish Later. You can access the form again by clicking on the same “Review Document” link in the email.
NOTE: Extended Education will evaluate the number of units required for you to be current in your program and verify this amount with you if our assessment differs from your own.
All holds must be removed before enrollment is processed. Also, enrollment cannot be processed for terms beyond expected graduation term.Graduation Evaluations for Graduate Students
Once enrollment is processed for the agreed amount of units, an email confirmation will be sent.
Charges will appear in your student account at the time of enrollment and will be due in 3 days. It is your responsibility to log-in to your student portal and pay fees.Paying Fees