Steps to Graduation
PLEASE NOTE: All graduate students are responsible for ensuring that their graduate forms are completed and submitted to the Graduate Education Office. It is the duty of the student to verify that all required forms are on file with the Graduate Education Office and the Office of Evaluations.
Visit Blended Programs for more information.
- Determine culminating experience: Thesis, Project, or Exam.
- Develop and complete a Working Formal Study Plan & Advancement to Candidacy.
- Identify members of evaluation committee (if required).
4. Working Formal Study Plan & Advancement to Candidacy
- Submit by end of 1st quarter in the program.
- Must complete the Graduation Writing Requirement (GWR) before submission. Contact the Cal Poly Writing & Learning Center directly for more information about the GWR.
- Must determine anticipated graduation date and culminating experience before submission.
5. Application for Graduation
Submit one quarter prior to the quarter in which you plan to graduate. For example, if you plan to graduate in Spring quarter, you must submit your form by the end of Winter quarter. If you plan to graduate in Fall quarter, you must submit your form by the end of Summer quarter.
6. Final Formal Study Plan
Submit during the first 3 weeks of the quarter in which you plan to graduate.
7. Culminating Experience
Submit:Master's Thesis Approval (E-Form),
Master's Project Approval (E-Form) and/or
Master's Exam Approval (E-Form)
Once you have completed your culminating experience, you must submit your form by the last day of the quarter in which you intend to graduate. Please reference Quarter Deadlines.
If completing a thesis, please refer to the master's thesis submission process.All Graduate Forms